Skip to main content

All Star Vance Worley Q&A

Reading Phillies starting pitcher Vance Worley was named to the Eastern League All Star team this week. Worley was a 3rd round draft selection by the Phillies, out of Long Beach State, in the 2008 amateur draft. So far this season, Worley is 5-4 with a 3.63 ERA in 15 starts, while holding opponents to a .232 batting avg. Along with Mike Stutes, Worley is the first player to be drafted by the Phils one year, then begin the following year on the double A Reading roster since Pat Burrell did it in 1999. Here is a look at the Q&A with Vance.


I asked Vance about a rough start to June, then getting back on track with a solid start over the weekend.

Yeah, I needed that. I had been struggling my last few outings. It was a big win for me, just to be able to throw strikes and keep the walks down, and just having the guys hit (behind) me was great.


Is there anyone on the Reading pitching staff who you think might be underrated?

(Laughs) It might be me. No, I think we've got a solid staff. Nobody certainly can't go out there and go and do their own thing, and do well.


How has the coaching staff been with helping you this season?

They've been good. The whole Phillies organization has a good (group of coaches). Steve Roadcap I had a little last year, and Schrenk...Schrenk's good. As soon as I start struggling, we don't talk about it the day of my pitching, when I have to go out there. But when I throw my bullpen over the next couple of days, he tells me what I had, and what I've done wrong, and just stuff to work on.


Who was your favorite player growing up?

Favorite player, I would say (Josh) Beckett. He throws hard and he's got good stuff. I kind of base myself off of him.


If you could face any batter, who would it be?

I'd like to see what I could do against (Albert) Pujols. I like to go and battle. I like to compete.


Any goals going forward for this season?

Just taking baby steps, and getting better every outing. And see where that takes me really.


What has been your favorite minor league park to play in?

So far, I enjoyed Lakewood (FirstEnergy Park) in low A. I think that was the best park I played at so far. It's awesome.


Is there anything in particular that you like to do, to pass time on the road?

I don't do anything. All the other guys play cards. I'm not a card guy, I just listen to my music. I've got an iPhone, so I sit on the internet a little bit.


What music would we find on your iPod or iPhone?

A little bit of everything, only thing I don't have on there is country.


Can I get your favorite Michael Jackson song?

Billy Jean.

BallHype: hype it up!

Comments

Jay Floyd said…
I'll be on the radio show today, 3:30pm. Tune in.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/liveplayer.php?CALLSIGN=WADBAM
Anonymous said…
sooo many prospects- let's trade them!

Popular posts from this blog

Caption This....

Jayson Werth was hit by a pitch thrown by Jeff Bennett on Friday. This picture shows where the ball made contact with Werth. Drop YOUR caption in the comments area.

Harry Kalas Phorever...

Legendary broadcaster Harry Kalas passed away today. Harry collapsed while preparing to call today's game against the Washington Nationals. So many phans will feel as though we've lost a member of our own families. I feel as though I've lost a part of myself, but Harry enhanced my love of the great sport we call baseball and I will always carry that love, and Harry, in my heart. I've stated on this page before that I consider Harry more of a Phillie than anyone who wears the uniform as an active member of the roster. Harry Kalas was a Phillie. Moreso, Harry Kalas was the Phillies. Please share your thoughts and memories of Harry in the comments section, or send them to PhoulBallz (at) verizon (dot) net.

Shea Hey

Us ually the Mets wait till September to have a huge collapse, but yesterday the final remaining portions of Shea Stadium came tumbling down.