Skip to main content

Q&A with Kyle Drabek

Kyle Drabek, former top draft pick of the Phillies in 2006, is currently pitching with the team's double A affiliate in Reading. The Reading Phillies' ace is currently 4-0 with a 2.43 ERA in 5 starts at the double A level this season. Combined with his single A level stats from Clearwater, Kyle is 8-1 with a 2.46 ERA overall in 2009. Kyle's father is former Pirates pitcher Doug Drabek. Kyle took some time last night to answer some questions for PhoulBallz.com. Here is a look at how that went down...


Kyle, can I get you to talk about being invited to play in the MLB Futures Game and how excited you are for that?

Really excited. It's an honor to be selected for something like that. The past players that have been there, I mean, to be going to the game is just amazing.


Were there some advantages growing up with a Major League pitcher for your father?

I'd have to say there's a few. Being able to learn from him every day, whenever I wanted. Just growing up with him, he taught me a lot about pitching, hitting, pretty much just everything about baseball. And it was just great. I love him.


With the NBA draft the other day, NHL draft this weekend, MLB draft a few weeks ago...I wanted to ask you about your draft day. Feelings, who were you with...?

Just real excited for the draft. I had my whole family, some of my teammates- most of my teammates from high school-, bunch of my friends, so it was kind of a bunch of people. My dad was watching the internet, and he told me when I got picked, and it was amazing. I couldn't believe it.


Is there any part of your pitching repertoire or your game that you are still working on improving?

Change up, really. Just in the bullpen- still working on every pitch, and location. But I'd have to say more on change up.


The ML Phils have some injuries to the pitching staff. If you were to get called into the office, and (manager) Steve Roadcap told you that the big club needs you in Atlanta on Wednesday, how would you feel?

I don't know. I know that I'd be real excited.


Do you think you're ready for a step up, or two...?

If they want me, I'll be ready for it!


If you were to hear your name attached to trade rumors, how might you feel or what might you think?

I really don't know. Just....I'd kinda be just like, "What?!"


Lastly, a non-baseball question. What's your favorite Michael Jackson song?

I really didn't listen to him that much. "Thriller" kind of sticks out.

BallHype: hype it up!

Comments

Amanda said…
Once again, another great Q&A.

Hope to see Drabek a Phillie in the next couple years, but I love that he feels like he is ready.

Popular posts from this blog

Caption This....

Jayson Werth was hit by a pitch thrown by Jeff Bennett on Friday. This picture shows where the ball made contact with Werth. Drop YOUR caption in the comments area.

Harry Kalas Phorever...

Legendary broadcaster Harry Kalas passed away today. Harry collapsed while preparing to call today's game against the Washington Nationals. So many phans will feel as though we've lost a member of our own families. I feel as though I've lost a part of myself, but Harry enhanced my love of the great sport we call baseball and I will always carry that love, and Harry, in my heart. I've stated on this page before that I consider Harry more of a Phillie than anyone who wears the uniform as an active member of the roster. Harry Kalas was a Phillie. Moreso, Harry Kalas was the Phillies. Please share your thoughts and memories of Harry in the comments section, or send them to PhoulBallz (at) verizon (dot) net.

Shea Hey

Us ually the Mets wait till September to have a huge collapse, but yesterday the final remaining portions of Shea Stadium came tumbling down.